Saturday, February 21, 2009

It's demanding to defeat those evil machines.

Hello crunchy children. 
Yesterday I went to the cardiologist. They did an EKG(what else is new), but this time they also did an ultrasound of my heart. It was so weird actually seeing my heart on the screen. There it was, just pumping away in its full black and white glory right before my eyes. The ultrasound technician showed me the chambers of my heart and all. It wasn't really what I expected a heart to look like, it was nothing like the pictures I've seen. 
After wiping all the ultrasound stuff off of my chest, I was set up with a little heart monitor or whatever. The monitor itself was clipped to the waist of my pants, and there were I think five wires coming from it. Each wire had an electrode with gauze at its end and each end was securely taped to my skin somewhere around my chest. Whenever I had an attack or a spell or whatever, I was supposed to press the purple button on the monitor, and then write down the time it happened, the symptoms, and what I had been doing on this chart thing. I couldn't take the little fucker off for 24 hours. So yeah, I had to sleep with this rectangular plastic tumor on my hip and wires across my torso and liberally applied tape irritating my skin. My doctor said that some people have to wear them for thirty days, only taking them off to shower. That would really, really suck. It's impossible to be comfortable wearing it, I can't even imagine wearing it for a month. 
My mom sent my teachers an email about my health. She thought they should probably know why I'm absent so much. I guess they should, but I just don't want to look like some kind of pathetic pansy who can't handle a little pain. I certainly feel pathetic. There are so many people out there who have it so, so much worse than I do. Stupidly enough, I hope my teachers don't look at me differently or strangely on monday. 
I have electrode pictures, maybe I'll post them tomorrow. Maybe not, if I'm too lazy.

peace.

1 comment:

  1. Electrode pictures! Cool! haha.
    So any diagnosis or anything?

    ReplyDelete